Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2016

ArtStation Challenge - "The Journey" first entry.

Hibernation Error

I've been meaning to join this challenge for a while and in between work I've been tinkering away at it. I finally feel I have enough to show to post a proper entry. I had this idea in mind of a long space journey where the hibernation system fails and kills all on board except one. An almost classic Sci-Fi trope but fun to explore nonetheless.
During the IW Demo Day last month I had a chance to show a little bit of my process of this painting in front of an audience. It was fun if not a little daunting.

I started with a quick thumbnail to figure out my shot and/or composition. I planned to kit-bash the whole thing in 3D but it's always good to have a rough idea of where you want to go.



I did the kit-bashing with the help of my own 3D models, Daz3D and free kits I found online. Although my PC is pretty swanky it didn't like this scene when I was done adding all the models. I was going to render it in 3DsMax but the high polycount meant I would have MentalRay render for days just for one image. So I took it to Keyshot which did a fantastic job in just a fraction of the time. I assigned materials and emissive objects in Keyshot and did a few render passes like the line work you see here. It give me a good idea of where everything is, especially as this is quite a dark scene.



This was the first light setup that I played with and I really liked the sense of danger but it didn't really feel like an hibernation room... I'm still tempted to go back to the red colour...



After a full render with lights and materials in Keyshot I took it to Photoshop to add atmosphere, texture, colour, and more light. The next step is to paint in more details, make it feel less like a render and more like a painting. I might also need to make it a little more clear the other people are deceased and that the system failed.



Thank you for taking a look, please stay tuned for more. In the meanwhile I appreciate all feedback, comments and critiques.

Cheers!

PS. This was copied from my ArtStation Challenge page, please have a look at updates and feedback here: https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-journey/challenges/5/submissions/3720

No comments:

Post a Comment